Wednesday, March 2, 2011

LUCKY SHAMROCKS

St. Patrick's Day Treats!

Who doesn't LOVE rice crispy treats! To celebrate St.Patrick's Day, I  thought it would be fun to turn them into lucky shamrocks!


Following the recipe on the box I changed the butter called for to coconut oil. This is something I keep in the house and use frequently in baking, on my dry cuticles and even on a baby's dry scalp! Amazing stuff! Never tried it in crispy treats, until.........

I read on the blog, How Does She?, where coconut oil was substituted for the butter, and knew the next time I made crispy treats, that's what I would do too.


I used neon green food coloring I had on hand, and, unfortunately, not a very nice green at all. So, after I spread them into the pan, I had to try and do something quick to pretty them up! I took the little squeeze bottle of dye and dropped little drops over the the setting crispy treats, thinking the dye might spread some.  (What was I thinking), no, it didn't! And I didn't like that so much either.

 So, I realized these would just have to do, and I continued with my plan of using a shamrock cookie cutter to cut the crispy treats into shamrock shapes.

All the while I kept in mind that although they were not so esthetically pleasing to the eye, the taste buds sure liked them!
The coconut oil really added a great flavor to the recipe! 

So here they are!!! The Lucky Shamrocks!!!
Homespunwithlove photo
Maybe you will try using coconut oil in stead of butter next time you make crispy treats! If you do, please let me know how you liked them!

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...